Monday, January 27, 2014

Glow: How To

So I had a request from my dear friend over at Ruffled Ink Designs who wanted me to share what I thought are the best products to highlight and to get that gorgeous glow. So Laura is pregnant and has an upcoming maternity shoot. Since she asked I'd thought I help and give my professional advise. She has the cutest style and is the definition of perfection. She is having a baby girl has been posting the cutest pic of her journey you should follow her story on Instagram: Thestorkdiary. Now here's your answer lars....

The key to get 'glowing' skin is to exfoliate, moisturize, and hydrate. (more info on that here) Great skin starts with skincare. If your skin looks good then most likely your makeup will too. But not all of us are makeup artist (like myself) and know how to create that perfect dewy glow like a pro. I'm here to help make it easy, ready? Let's go!

Prime
"Not to prime is a crime" - Napoleon Perdis Seriously guys this is the number one rule of makeup #jk you've got-s-ta prime though. It DOES make a difference especially in photography and also adds longevity to your foundation. Don't over prime. All you need is a veil of primer on the face. Less is more. My picks: Laura Mercier primer in 'Radiance', Napoleon Perdis Auto Pilot Primer, Smashbox photo finish primer in 'Luminzing'. PRO TIP: Try applying your primer with a brush and apply it before any moisturizer.

SKIN
Choose a foundation that mimics skin. Be sure to go to a professional when buying a foundation so that you get color matched in the perfect color. Your foundation shouldn't be darker than your natural color. My Picks: Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, Garnier BB Cream, Dior Diorskin Airflash spray foundation. PRO TIP: Use fingers to warm up & apply foundation then blend with brush or beauty blender for a flawless application.
Conceal
To get that bright eye healthy glow you NEED concealer. Now finding one that does it all is the hard part. I did just that for you, you can thank me later. P.S. when applying concealer please put on an eye cream before. Make sure to let it "sink in" before concealing.  My picks: Cle De Peau concealer, Josie Maran Argan creamy concealer crayon, Hardcandy Glamflouge heavy duty concealer. PRO TIP: Instead of dotting concealer on try feathering it out & don't be scared to use your fingers.
Bronze 
To complete your look add lots of bronzer. Start at your temples and make a C shape just under the cheek bone then turn it into a 3 alone the jaw bone. C into a 3 easy? Bronzer is important because it warms up the face. My picks: Hardcandy So Baked Bronzer in 'Tropic', Physicians Formula Happy Booster bronzing veil, Napoleon Perdis bronze PatrolPRO TIP: Be sure not to use a 'matte' bronzer you want some glow so grab an illumining one.
Highlight
I can't pick just three, because highlighting is my favorite. There are so many options out there too. Everyone is different and prefers  different textures. Skin type also depends on what type of highlight works best on your skin. Dry? Use a cream or liquid highlighter. Oily, try a powder. Where should you highlight? You want to highlight the upper cheek bone, bridge of the nose, above the brows, and the cupids bow. My picks: Laura Mercier mineral illuminating powder, Smashbox Halo highlighting wand, Nars Albatross highlighting blush, Nars Copacabana illuminator, Napoleon Perdis loose eye color dust in 'Golden Peach', Bobbi Brown 'Beige' shimmer brick. PRO TIP: Be gentle. Yes, be gentle start off soft so that way you don't over do it. Then you can add more if you want.
I hope this was helpful and direct. Keep in mind if you're going for a bright 'glowy' look try to keep the basics neutral.  The eyes, soft nude natural tones look best. Define the look with a crisp cat eye and bold brows. Blush keep soft and downplay it, by using none or just bronzer. Find a lip color that feels true to you. Peach, pink, and nude lipsticks are my favorite. 

XXOO

1 comment:

  1. This is EXACTLY what I was needing to know! You are the best, I wish you could be here to do my makeup!!! Thank you for your sweet words, now I'm going to be "glowing" because of you!
    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete